Select a classic or contemporary novel, nonfiction or biography from one of the follow lists:
READING FOR PLEASURE ORAL PRESENTATION
After reading a novel, nonfiction work or biography, prepare a 5-7 minute speech that includes the following:
1. Introduction – attention-getter
2. Oral reading - one or two-page reading from your book including introductory or concluding explanation of context.
3. Author background - include reference to at least one critical source or review.
4. Conflict Analysis - refer to specific examples from your novel.
5. Theme - "Sometimes in life . . ."
6. Use quotes from your book, its author and reviewers to illustrate conflict and theme.
7. Your personal reaction/opinion/response to the novel.
8. Topic outline and Works Cited – submit to Turnitin.com
___ Introduction of selection (5)
___ Reading - Vocal Energy/Articulation/Posture/Gestures (10)
___ Author Information (10)
___ Discussion of conflicts and themes (10)
___ Personal Reaction (10)
___ Use of quotations from book, author or reviewer (5)
___ TOTAL (50)
Reader's Bill of Rights
From Better Than Life, 1999, Portland, ME: Stenhouse Publishers
Stranger Than Fiction: Dustin Hoffman Interview