Multi-Genre Autobiographic Almanac
You will be producing your own almanac patterned after the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and Poor Richard’s Almanac. Your almanac will be a mixture of information and personal writing about yourself and where you live.
To make the project more interesting, you may want to organize your selections around a particular theme – a sport, a holiday, your hobby or place of employment. Your almanac must include the following:
1. Life-map or Google Map illustrating major events of your life.
- Mr. Lackey's Life Map
- Bill Gates Timeline
2. Autobiographic Incident Narrative:
- Based on Life Map assignment
- Opens with trigger incident and closes with epiphany
- Includes at least five sensory details and three figurative devices
- 250 words – submit to Turnitin.com
Check out Song and Memory to hear how music triggers recollection.
5. General Information – include at least three:
- Phases of the moon
- Astrological Information
- Planting/Crop Information
- Proverbs, Aphorisms or Quotations
- Other essential suburban survival information
For almanac resources see Old Farmer's Almanac, Farmer's Almanac or the Urban Almanac
6. Glossary of Slang – include at least 10 words with definition and usage. For Slang Dictionaries:
- Word Spy
- Online Slang Dictionary
- Yahoo Slang Dictionary Directory
7. Strongsville Local Lore – write a short article (150 words) and include photographs about one of the following:
- Living Strongsville Treasure –a person in Strongsville who embodies the spirit of your community and has a strong sense of place.
- Suburban Sanctuary – A place of peace and contemplation indoors or out where you can go to rest, relax and connect with your self.
- Essential Place in Strongsville – A location that represents the character and essential nature of the town.
8. Publication - Think about how Franklin would publish his Almanac today. Consider creating a blog, web page, video, or PowerPoint presentation. Paper and ink are also certainly acceptable.
9. Include Works Cited information for Copy-Change poem, General Information and any other information sources in your almanac.